The Raphaelson & Levine Law Firm is committed to representing people, not cases. By focusing on clients as individuals and the challenges they face in recovering from an accident, we are able to tell that story in vivid terms when the time comes to negotiate compensation or convince a jury to award damages.
We pride ourselves on the way we practice personal injury law. We spend time with clients and we are available to them. When we believe in the case, we invest in the case. We prepare for trial, which is reflected in the quality of our settlements. We have the respect of our legal peers and many testimonials from clients who appreciate our approach and our results.
Personal Injury Cases We Handle
We focus our representation on clients who have suffered serious, life-threatening and catastrophic injuries. Our trial experience and resources enable us to stand up to insurers and large corporations to demand the comprehensive, long-term compensation our clients will need to put their lives back together and regain a decent quality of life.
- Motor vehicle accidents — Our attorneys have handled literally thousands of traffic accident cases involving passenger cars, commercial trucks, motorcycles, ambulances, police cars, taxicabs, bicycles and pedestrians. We pursue every source of insurance coverage, from dram shop liability in drunk driver cases to uninsured/underinsured motorist claims.
- Mass transit accidents — We have successfully sued the New York City Transit Authority and MTA for accidents involving NYC trains, subways and buses.
- Airplane accidents — Our firm recovered $2.5 million and $1.5 million in wrongful death lawsuits against a major airline in separate New York plane crashes.
- Construction accidents — We have a long record of personal injury recoveries against property owners, general contractors, construction managers and subcontractors for construction site injuries or deaths, including those caused by scaffolding and ladder accidents, heavy equipment accidents and injuries from tools, equipment or electric shock.
- Premises liability — We hold businesses, landlords, municipalities and other property owners accountable for slip-and-falls, icy walkways, elevator accidents and other dangerous conditions.
- Product liability — Our legal team has the capability to hold manufacturers accountable for serious injury from defective machinery, vehicles, consumer products or medical products.
- Toxic exposures — We represent individuals and classes of individuals seeking justice for health problems from chemical exposure in the workplace, lead-based paint, chemical spills, toxic toys and other poisons.
- 9/11 health cases — Rescue workers, volunteers and clean-up crews at Ground Zero may be entitled to compensation set aside for cancer, lung ailments and other health issues.
- Medical malpractice — We hold New York City doctors, nurses and hospitals accountable for diagnosis errors, surgery errors, medication mistakes and other negligence.
- Birth injuries — Our firm pursues justice for infants and their anguished parents for medical negligence resulting in brain damage, cerebral palsy, Erb's palsy and other birth defects.
- Brain injuries — We know that traumatic brain injury (TBI) is devastating for the victim and family. We seek compensation for life care needs, financial security and lost quality of life.
- Wrongful death — Raphaelson & Levine has recovered compensation for grieving families in every type of case mentioned above in which the victim was killed at the scene or later died from injuries or complications that were related to the accident.
We Have History
Founding attorney Howard Raphaelson is the grandson of Jacob D. Fuchsberg, a New York lawyer who obtained the first million-dollar recovery in U.S. history. Since 1992, the accomplished trial lawyers of Raphaelson & Levine have followed in that tradition and obtained numerous million-dollar and multimillion-dollar jury awards. These results are a function of our diligent efforts to understand our clients' needs and to document the harm in tangible terms.
Please read more about our personal injury practice and what you should know to protect your rights and help maximize your compensation.
- Understanding personal injury law
- Personal injury accidents
- Do I really need an injury lawyer?
- How long do I have to file a claim?
- Steps you should take after an accident
- Taking notes after an accident
- Preserving evidence after an accident
Frequently Asked Personal Injury Questions
New York City is one of the most prevalent locations for accidents of many kinds: car accidents, on-the-job injuries, dog bites, and countless others. If you are a victim of one of these various types of accidents, you may opt to acquire the services of a personal injury attorney. Brooklyn has law firms available that specialize in personal injury law and can show you the compassion and attention that your case deserves. Here are some frequently asked questions that may be on your mind in the early stages of seeking legal help and advice.
1. How Do I Know If I Have a Case?"
Answer: In order to determine whether or not you have a case worth trying in court, your first step is to locate and contact a personal injury attorney. Law firms will gladly take your call, and many offer a free initial consultation. That means that you can leave it up to the lawyer to determine whether or not your case has a solid legal basis. Moreover, a personal injury attorney can assess whether or not your case is strong enough to be likely to have a favorable outcome for you.
2. "Don't Lawyers Just Want To Make Money?"
Answer: There is one way to make sure that a vested interest in your case is bound by your personal injury attorney. Law firms may offer a "no fee unless you win" guarantee. That means your lawyer will go to every length possible to ensure you win; and if you don't, you owe nothing. Asking about attorney fees is a very normal question encountered every day by a personal injury attorney. Most firms will not take offense to these questions, as they are routinely posed to them; so do not hesitate to ask.
3. "How Much Money Can I Get in a Personal Injury Case?"
Answer: This is probably one of the primary questions that may cross your mind when you consider enlisting the assistance of lawyers who specialize in personal injury law, have an outstanding track record of winning major settlements, and have helped their clients to be rewarded with six-figure outcomes - sometimes even into the millions, depending on the case.
4. "What Types of Damages Can I Seek Compensation For?"
Answer: You can legally seek to obtain general damages, special damages, and punitive damages. General damages are those that cannot be directly proven, such as "pain and suffering." Special damages are those that can be sought as an exact particular dollar amount, typically in reference to medical bills, lost wages, and travel expenses. Punitive damages do not arise in every case, but when they are sought, it gives your attorney a right to bring light to prior bad acts of the defendant, which might otherwise be inadmissible as evidence.
Tips for Evaluating Personal Injury Law Firms
Choosing the perfect personal injury law firm in New York City to represent your case can be an arduous task with so many firms available and no real knowledge of where to start. If you're agreeing right now, this article will help you. After all, actually choosing a law firm after careful evaluation is much more difficult than just finding one. The next three tips should form the basis for your evaluation of personal injury law firms in NY.
Tip 1: Evaluate the firm's biographical information
The first step to evaluating a firm is to look for basic biographical information. This can include how many trials the firm has handled, how long they've been practicing, whether they usually represent injured clients or whether they usually handle the defendants, and even their success rate. These are all questions the firm should be able to answer for you.
Tip 2: Evaluate the firm's case tactics for your case
You'll be able to tell even more about a firm when they're speaking specifically about your case. Ask them about potential weaknesses in the case or problems they foresee. Then, ask about how they plan to deal with these problems. Also be sure to ask about how they will keep you updated throughout the process and who will handle your case.
Tip 3: Evaluate the Cost
While most personal injury firms don't charge you unless they win, it's still important to have a firm idea of about how much things will cost. You don't want to find a firm that looks wonderful everywhere else, but charges you 75% of the award.
In short, biographical, tactical, and monetary concerns are the three big areas you should focus on when evaluating personal injury law firms in NYC. Keep focused on these and you'll be able to whittle down your choices quickly.
Contact Our Experienced Law FIrm
Personal injury is all we do. Call 646-666-7189 or 800-529-7967 or contact us online for a free consultation with one of our NYC personal injury attorneys. If we take your case, there are no attorney fees unless we win.