Personal Injury Steps
If you have been injured due to someone else's negligence, the first step is to seek any required medical attention. But, keep in mind that your case depends on hiring an experienced New York City personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. The sooner your NYC personal injury lawyer begins to work with you, the better the chances will be to preserve the evidence you need to protect your rights and ensure a fair settlement.
The first steps in preparing your case
Even if you have not yet hired a Manhattan personal injury lawyer, you need to take the following steps as soon as possible:
- Do not make any written or verbal statements to insurance companies or other claims handlers until you have called an attorney, but be sure to get the contact information of anyone involved in your claim.
- While still at the accident scene, if at all possible, collect all possible evidence that will prove your injury. For motor vehicle accidents, pictures of the accident scene and all involved vehicles from all angles, clothing, your injuries, and damaged property can provide evidence for your case. Whatever the cause of the injury, try to get photographs of anything that was involved in the accident. If you suffered severe injuries and cannot collect evidence in a timely manner, ask a trusted family member to help collect evidence for you.
- Be sure to retain all medical records, including the doctor's diagnosis and prognosis for your recovery, and be sure to keep receipts from the associated purchase of medical supplies.
Working with your attorney
Your personal injury lawyer will provide you with valuable guidance in preparing your case. A lawyer will provide many services, such as these:
- Review all evidence you have collected and identify any information that is still needed to build a strong case
- Hire forensic experts when they are needed to investigate the accident scene for additional evidence that supports your case
- Advise you on the best approach for handling your situation, including filing insurance claims, negotiating for an out-of-court settlement, or taking the case to court
- Provide expert witnesses in the event that your case goes to court
Getting the results you need from your personal injury claim in NYC
With an experienced New York City personal injury lawyer working with you, you have the best chances to receive the compensation you deserve for your claim. The attorneys at Raphaelson & Levine, P.C. understand the legal and personal problems that you face when you have been injured in an accident. With almost two decades of experience, the firm views each case on an individual basis and handles every detail to ensure that you get the compensation you need to return to the best life possible.